Monday, June 17, 2013

"You Look Like A Giraffe"

How honest can a sister get?
I jumped at the chance to go on a spontaneous road trip with two of my sisters. With only time to sling my hair into a ponytail, I ignored the limp curls left over from the day before. Why do I bother curling it when it doesn't like to hold onto curls for more than a couple of hours? I suppose it's because human nature makes us want what we don't have.)
On the road, I discovered that my sister Rebecca planned to treat Carolyn and me to a birthday lunch. (I had my birthday last month, and Carolyn is looking forward to hers next month. She'll be 48, but her Down Syndrome makes her perpetually childlike.)
Carolyn delightedly chose the restaurant and we walked in with empty tummies and great anticipation. As we seated ourselves, Carolyn turned to me and said, "You look like a giraffe."
"What?" I'll admit I was surprised. "Is it because I'm so tall?"
She shook her head. "It's your hair. You look like a giraffe." Then she pointed to Rebecca's ponytail and said, "I like hers better. It's smooth."
In case you can't tell giraffe from pony, I'm in the red shirt, Rebecca's in the blue. Mom's taking the picture while Carolyn is in the car, laughing. 
What do you think? Who's the giraffe?
Now ask yourself... what animal do you resemble?

No comments: