Monday, June 24, 2013

A Snake or Really Big Banana Peels?

Last night I was delightedly riding my bike while listening to books on CD. (Sometimes I read an actual paper book while riding, but this time it was a CD on a portable player with headphones.) Then my delight was destroyed when I needed to switch CD's and looked for the CD case in my bike basket. It wasn't there. 
Oh, no! Did it fall out on the road?
When I got home, I switched my bike for my car and drove along my bike route, searching for the missing CD case. No luck. Would I have to pay for a replacement?
Then it was time to pick up my son from the movie theater. That's when I got the idea that maybe I'd accidentally put the case in the library drop box, and you know what? I did! There it was!
I was so excited to find it wasn't lost that when we drove home, I didn't notice the snake curled up on the road. When my tires thumped over it, I yelled, "Was that a snake?" while trying to suppress shivers of horror.
Then my son said with a teasing grin, "I think it was really big banana peels."
So I had to flip a U-turn and go back to look. You would have done the same thing, right? Which of us was correct? Was it a snake, or monster banana peels?
Take a look for yourself. (I stopped in the middle of the road to take a picture):  
Yeah, it wasn't either.
it was a fabric tie-down strap.
At least we had a little excitement before settling down for the night with visions of snakes crawling out of banana skins dancing in our heads.
If you aren't sure of what you see, do you turn around to check? Or do you just let your imagination run away with you? 

No comments: