Monday, January 9, 2012

Do Cows Eat Snow?

DON'T MISS TOMORROW's SPECIAL EXTRA BLOG (details at end of post) and CLICK HERE to read about the MYSTERY OF MERMAIDS (hey, they live in MELTED snow!) at skyleefair.blogspot.com!
When I first saw the article about cows eating snow, I wanted to shout, "Stop! Don't! Hypothermia!" But it turns out that with four stomachs covered by hide and fur, cows CAN eat snow, and like it! In fact, in a year more snowy than this central Utah's balmy January 50 degrees, cows can get ALL their water needs from snow! But they have to learn how. It's a peer pressure thing.
"Ahem, excuse me, where's the water trough?"
"We don't use a water trough. We eat snow."
(Mooey sort of gasp) "No!"
"Come on, take a mouthful."
"No! It's cold! It's fluffy! It gets up my nose!"
"Come on, just one won't hurt. Look, I'll do it myself." (Bite, crunch, swallow.) "See?"
"Ahhh! Your tongue is blue!"
But, eventually, thirst or curiosity wins the new cow over and she gets addicted to eating snow.
(I wonder if cows eat yellow snow?)
Did you eat snow as a kid, catching snowflakes on your tongue? Or did you peel it off the road?
COME BACK TOMORROW for one of my inimitable book reviews (that means no one can imitate them! I'm the only one who can put you inside the story like I do by browbeating the poor, unsuspecting author!) So come back and read about Berin Stephens' new "Time Gangsters" adventure, you dirty rat!

2 comments:

Cindy Beck, author said...

You are so funny, with your imaginary cow conversation! :) By the way, hows about sending me the link to the article about cows eating snow ... I'd like to read it.

Shirley Bahlmann said...

Sure thing... here's the link! http://www.sjrnews.com/view/full_story/16856172/article-Can-cows-eat-snow-?instance=top_stories