Monday, July 2, 2018

Boys Without A Door, But With A Flag

I was in the WalMart parking lot in May 2018 when I noticed a car without a door. My first thought was that I hoped it had a secure seatbelt. My second thought was, "Why are those two young men taping a flag to their antennae?"
So I asked them both questions.
First of all, they were AWOL from school, since "There wasn't much to do."
I remembered late May at my own Utah high school, and had to agree that there wasn't much readin' writin' or 'rithmetic going on at that time.
In the minds of these two friends, who prefer not to be named (would the principal really come after you now, in the SUMMER?) it was more worthwhile to get an American flag for their ride. They each had a grandpa or great grandpa who fought and even died in U.S. wars. So the flag meant something personal to them.
As for the door?
It fell off.
They planned a near-future junkyard excursion to find and attach a replacement.
I have not often found youth who have such appreciation for the American flag.
I salute you, unknown young men, for carrying on the legacy of patriotism.
And for fastening your seat belts really tight.

No comments: