Monday, May 21, 2012

I Saw the Sun!

I remember watching a solar eclipse when my age was in single digits. It was less than satisfying, since it was viewed through a pinhole which let the sun's shadow into a box. The pinhole translated the sun into a tiny crescent slowly shrinking on the far wall of the box as the moon covered its face. It was all I could do not to turn my head to see for myself the celestial event taking place above my head. But I resisted the urge, since I truly value my eyesight. Now I've lived long enough to witness yesterday's solar eclipse through amazing glasses so dark that I couldn't see anything but the small crescent of sun being swallowed up behind the moon. Cool! It was no wonder that ancient people saw this as a doomsday event. Staring at the horrible sight of the sun being eaten up must have struck some of them blind from over exposure to solar radiation, thus rendering the idea of the anger of the Gods. But God and I were sharing a happy moment.
What is one of your memories from childhood?  

No comments: