Thursday, August 5, 2010

Don't you have anything BLACK?

I was asked to sing at a funeral. During our two practices, I was accused of looking like a Froot Loop and fruit salad. (This is because of my colorful clothes, in case you were wondering.) The ladies were discussing wearing black or gray to sing the actual song because it's a funeral.
Okay, herein lies an inherent thought process difference. I don't care if I wear bright colors to a funeral. I don't think it's disrespectful in the least. I mean, has the person who died gone on to a better place or not? If so, then let's send them off with color, why don't we?
Anyway, back to the singing ladies' discussion, as they were talking I had my eyes fixed firmly to the ceiling, contemplating the clothes in my closet. I was interrupted by one of the ladies asking, "Shirley, do you even HAVE anything black?"
Startled, I met her eyes. "Well, the last time I went to DI, Michael talked me into buying a black velvet jumper because it felt soft, but it has rhinestone sparkles on the straps and I can only wear it on Fast Sunday because it's a little tight across the tummy."
She rolled her eyes, "Oh, Shirley!"
Hey, I'm volunteering to sing from the kindness of my heart, and I can sing the same in fruit salad or black velvet!

4 comments:

Randi said...

I vote for the fruit salad, you tall blonde Juanita! When I die, no black at my funeral, please.

Cindy Beck, author said...

I say wear what you want! :)

Shirley Bahlmann said...

Hey, I'll wear sparkles to your funeral, Randi, if I don't go before you. You do the same for me, please!

Shirley Bahlmann said...

I do wear what I want, most of the time. When I showed up in a long black jumper that I dug out of the rag bag. A couple of the ladies said they loved it, so I think I might dress it up with black fringe. Then I can take it out in public more often!