Sunday, February 28, 2010

Free Food!

Anyone who knows me knows that cooking is not my favorite thing, at least, if I'm on the stove end. If I'm sitting at the table, I'm all for cooking. In fact, I'm so cooking challenged that when I was a college student, I would put a potato in the oven to cook while I went to class, then take it out and eat it when I got back. An hour later, I might open a can of green beans and eat them right out of the can. Hey, my stomach didn't care if I didn't eat different kinds of food at the same time.
So when I substituted at school Friday and found out that the Teacher Appreciation people brought in lunch for teachers, and were equally appreciative of substitutes, I got on the food wagon. It was all so delicious, from spinach salad to Hawaiian pizza to some kind of fluffy salad with... could it be?... cookie crumbles in it!
And in spite of the fact that I've lost 10 pounds in the last month by counting calories, I also gave myself a frosted brownie. And I counted every single chewy chocolate goodness calorie as it slid down.
It was worth every one

3 comments:

Cindy Beck, author said...

Good for you on eating the frosted brownie. Ya have to feed the soul as well as the body!

And you might not cook much, but you're a good baker and can make one heck of a gooey-chocolate-lava-cake-thingy!

Andy said...

I have some very fond memories of food you cooked when I was a kid. Granted, not all of it was fine dining exactly, but you seemed to manage fine while we were growing up.

Shirley Bahlmann said...

Aw, thanks! (Eating is such an ingrained habit, isn't it? It's nice to know I can make a few nice things!)