Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Shirley Fat Face

I have a wide face just like my Swedish great-grandmother Cecelia, but with the swelling from oral surgery, my cheek grew even broader! Yet in the aftermath, I've remembered to be grateful for modern surgery techniques instead of the old barber in a blood-splattered apron forcing my mouth open and inserting a pair of rusty pliers to rid me of a troublesome tooth. 
With my sore face, I I decided to let myself take it easy for the past three days. It's been very nice and pressure-free, even though not writing can create its own kind of pressure. But I'm not feeling badly about it. This is healing time.
I have to wonder how the surgery actually went... it's reported by eye-witnesses that when I was under anesthesia, I pointed upward and said, "It's glowing!" I have to wonder if that was that the light at the end of the tunnel or what?
This picture reminds me of one more thing... I once came across a diminutive woman trying to fix the part in her hair while looking in a mirror. Looking up at my reflection in the glass, she quipped, "Shirley, you're lucky. You're so tall you don't have to worry that people will see a crooked part in your hair."
"That's true," I said, "but on the other hand, everyone can see up my nose."
This photo proves it. I just need to remember to keep my nose cleaner than most people.
Physical features are important to include in writing about various characters. What's your favorite feature? Why? Do you have a least favorite, or do you just love everything about yourself?

3 comments:

Janette Rallison said...

I have never been fond of my long, thin face. We will not discuss my thighs.

Cindy Beck, author said...

We think you have a sweet face, even after tooth surgery. And we're glad you didn't follow the light at the end of the tunnel! :)

Shirley Bahlmann said...

Yes, Janette, I suppose everyone has something about themselves they wish they could change. And Ramona, I plan to put off the final frontier adventure for a little bit longer!