Monday, June 25, 2018

New York, No Fork, Mouth Open...uh...by the Ocean!

 (Hey, at least the title rhymes!)
My grandson (well, one of them...I've got four of the handsome little mugwumps!) got to go to New York with his high school drama team. When I wanted to commemorate his return with a picture of him behind the miniature Statue of Liberty he brought back, he obliged... with big bites of bread and chewing like a train wreck!




(Okay, I admit that a couple of weeks ago, I showed my chewed food "train wreck" to Bob, but he asked for it! No, he didn't say, "Show me what you're chewing," he just made an unsolicited food comment, which is as good as a train wreck request. So I have to entertain the possibility that my grandson comes by it honestly.) 
I had my own New York adventure as a six-year-old when I got lost at the New York World's Fair. A policeman took me to the Lost and Found with umbrellas, strollers, jackets, and one other kid whose parents came to collect him a couple of minutes after I arrived.
lt seemed like I waited for hours, definitely long enough to drink a glass of milk and eat a peanut butter and jelly sandwich provided by the two ladies behind the counter. (I must have chewed with my mouth open, a la previously mentioned grandson, since I ended up with peanut butter and jelly blobs on my "I rode the monorail" sticker on my shirt.) There was enough time left after eating to wonder where I'd sleep if my family didn't claim me before nightfall. I thought I was too big for the strollers, and wasn't sure there were enough jackets to make a mattress my size.
But, voila! I was eventually claimed by my family, and rode home coloring in a coloring book until I got car sick.
(Ever since then, the smell of crayons has not been my favorite.)
What memorable trip(s) have you taken?

No comments: