Monday, May 9, 2011

Dandelion Wars

For exercise, I dig dandelions. This is a reversal from my teenage years when I delighted in weaving the bright yellow blossoms into crowns to wear to school. (Yes, I did.) But experience changes Points of View. I would rather have grass in my yard that screaming yellow flowers that all too soon grow gray and war-like, shooting out their missiles of grass-killing destruction.
So I go out every day and dig up the fiends disguised behind cheery yellow faces. It sometimes seems never-ending, but it's like writing a book. If I keep at it, word after word, dandelion after dandelion, eventually it will get done.
Until the neighbors' evil dandelion seeds attack from over the fence...just like the next book that's screaming to be written.
What kind of work do you feel will never be done?

4 comments:

Linda Pratt said...

I also have a personal web page and a blog to go with it, but I have determined, after reading Shirley's last post that my page is DULL, DULL, DULL! "This is what I'm working on now...blah blah blah." Snore. I need a fresh perspective and a little more impromptu fun in my life. Thanks Shirley for reminding me!!
Linda

Cindy Beck, author said...

Well, I would just like to see you with a dandy-lion crown, so before you dig them all up, would you do me a favor? Please make a crown, put it on and send me a pix! :)

Randi said...

I second that motion! We want to see Shirley with her dandelion crown!

Shirley Bahlmann said...

Well, I'll have to concede that majority rules...but the dandelions in my yard cower whenever they see me, so none of them are long enough to weave. (Bwa-ha-ha!) I'll have to go scout out an abandoned field somewhere with unsuspecting dandelions to make a crown.