Monday, May 16, 2011

Can You Beet That?

I admit, it was an impulse buy. I was actually at the store for marinara sauce to get my youngest son to eat my homemade cheese sticks. (They're cheaper than the take-out Italian food he begs me for, but he thinks they're not as good. Hah!) That's when I saw bright beets beaming at me from the label on a can. I reached up and grabbed some.
The teenage checker at the till rolled a beet can over the scanner, paused, glanced at the label and asked, "What do you do with beets?"
Was this a trick question? Cautiously I answered, "Eat them."
The girl's eyes widened in surprise. "Really?"
What planet was this girl from? "You've never had a beet?" I asked, waiting to see if she darted out a forked tongue.
"No," she answered. Then her face grew thoughtful. "I think my mom tried to make me eat one once, but I wouldn't because I thought it would stain my teeth red."
Well, alrighty then. All the more for me.
Is there a food that you get sudden cravings for?

5 comments:

Jeff Bahlmann said...

I LOVE pickled Beets and boiled eggs on my salad...Call me crazy but that is what I like!

Shirley Bahlmann said...

That proves it: you are your grandpa's boy!

Link said...

I love Onion Rings so much and also guavas.

Shirley Bahlmann said...

Onion rings, guavas, beets. Yeah, I could live with that.

winch bumper said...

I love carrots ( they are so good)

Enthusiasm for Christmas Is Fun!

Happy birthday to my brother, DellRay, today! He is approximately 17 months and 22 days older than me. We had great times growing up, which...