Monday, March 28, 2011

One Shoe Prayer

I was happy to say the prayer at church. What I wasn't happy about is that one of my shoes fell off when I stood up to pray. What the...? My first impulse was to turn back and bend over to get it. The very next flash of thought was how awkward that would be. The third flash (happened faster than the blink of an eye) was the question, "How reverent is it to pray with one shoe off and one shoe on? Diddle Diddle Dumpling, my son John." The people in back couldn't see my bare foot. The people in front were supposed to have their eyes closed.
So I folded my arms, bowed my head, and prayed. On some words, my voice strained against a giggle rising in my throat, but I hoped listeners would mistake the change in tone for heartfelt emotion.
Amen
What awkward situation have you found yourself in?

2 comments:

Pitterle Postings said...

OH, I love it!! I have found myself in many similar situations in my life. Probably the worst was when I was young and belched very loudly in church during a quite moment. Everybody looked around to try and find the guilty party. I was hoping God would bless me with invisibility. You just have to love moments that make you humble!

Shirley Bahlmann said...

Ooo, that's a good story, Patty Ann! All I can say is, if everyone's looking around for the guilty party, you start looking around, too. That's as good as being invisible! ;o)