Monday, September 11, 2017

In Defense of Women

I don't know what it is about this book cover that I like, but there is an abnormally tall lady. I like her hat, too. I also like the title, although the contents are more satire than serious.
I read a bit of biography on the author, H. L. Mencken, who apparently had such a low opinion of marriage that his cohorts teased him mercilessly when he married Sarah Haardt at 50 years old, after a 7 year courtship. (Old habits and all that.) He said he'd married because he was inspired and informed by the Holy Spirit, and it seemed to be a superb communique.
In spite of her being 17 years younger than he was, Sarah died five years later of meningitis.
The sad irony of it! He lived for 18 more years before dying.
That's not so sad, because I think he met Sarah again.
I wonder if she was taller than him.
  I like the lady's elbow on the guy's head on this cover, too. I can relate.
What do you think of this book cover?

No comments: