Monday, June 20, 2011

Is There Any Other Kind?

I saw a sign that read, "It all starts with farm grown potatoes." I couldn't believe my eyes, so I read the sign again. Really? Is there any other kind, say, apartment grown potatoes?
I don't think so.
Apparently none of those potatoes ended up at certain select restaurants, because I overheard some ladies talking about going out to eat. One woman said, "They have a Sizzler and a Golden Corral," to which the other woman replied, "They don't have food."
Hm. What is on their menus, then? Food shaped furniture for apartments, perhaps?
Then again, the food-less woman may have been related to the lady at my catered dinner table. When served her plate of food, the woman scowled and said, "I only eat cereal, yogurt, and peanut butter," and pushed her plate away. She looked normal. I think she would have been happier after eating her potato, but I'll never know.
I think I'll write a character with potato issues. Maybe that character could even be from Idaho and afraid to step outside his door for fear of potatoes. (Dun-dun-dun!)
What food oddities do you have?

2 comments:

Cindy Beck, author said...

I don't believe I have any food oddities ... as long as you don't count my love of peanut butter. I once ate 3 dozen, fresh-from-the-oven peanut butter cookies. They were still warm ... they were luscious ... they gave me hives on my lips!

When I called the dentist he courteously told me that if I'd only eaten one or two, like most people, I probably wouldn't have hives.

So now I only eat a dozen or two, but never three! :)

(We still love ya, Sweeta Juanita!)

Shirley Bahlmann said...

Cookies are my weakness. I'm scared to bake them because I also find comfort in warm cookies... but my soft, circular nemesis is pumpkin choclate chip.