Friday, May 1, 2009

I read 8 books last night in pink pajamas!

by Shirley Bahlmann
One thing mentioned at the Storymaker's Conference last weekend was the need for chapter books. So I went to the local library to do some research. I was amazed at the scope of books that were listed under chapter books. Some of them were over 200 pages long! Yes, they had chapters, but, no, I don't think they were what the speakers meant when they said "chapter books." It's the transitional kind they were talking about, the ones that take readers from picture books to YA novels. I got some of those, too, and read 8 books last night. I just curled up in bed with a handful of chocolate cherries and a jug of grape juice and read and read until my 18-year-old asked me to go to WalMart with him to look at car stereos.
Now, I ask you, what do I know about car stereos? But he agreed I could come in my pink teddy bear-print pajama bottoms, so I shuffled along behind him in the store, reading as I went. I did prove useful, though. I fetched store personnel twice to answer my son's questions. I suppose that's because it's too embarrassing for a suave 18-year-old to ask for help. Better to send your mother in pink pajamas.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just love your style!! The next time you want to run to Wally World in flannels - please call, I'll slip on my yellow kittycat jammies and join you!
:^> Wendy

PS: I mentioned you on my blog, just thought you'd like to know.

Shirley Bahlmann said...

Yeah, I'd like that, we could go to the toy aisle and push the buttons on all the noisy toys at once!

Danyelle Ferguson said...

LOL! Pink is the best! My daughter MJ and I are reading the Sariah McDuff series right now. She breezes through them, but enjoys them.

Cindy Beck, author said...

Don't know how I missed this blog, but I got a kick out of it. I can just see you at WalMart in your jammies.

Oh wait, that's because I HAVE seen you at WalMart in your jammies! (I think. Maybe not in your pink jammies, though.:)