Wednesday, March 18, 2009

What's it all about, Alfie?


I used to sing a crazy mixed up song from the 60's titled, "What's It All About, Alfie?" I think I deserve sparkly-name-on-the-marquee recognition for the fact that I know all the words. I deserve a new car and a Caribbean cruise for knowing the melody, which is even more random. (Did you ever learn to beat time to music? This tune is so random, you'd bettah forgetaboutit.)
So, what is it all about? Bob has asked me for a long time why I spend time blogging. It's because I've been told to by higher uppers in the publishing business. What I want to know is who reads these anyway? Sometimes a friend or two will comment on my posts, but I'm not even nice enough to write back on their blogs. Who has the time? If I want to write books, I can't be on the computer all day.
In case you were wondering, the picture, here, is of one son feeding another son a hot dog on the end of a sword. The feedee did not appreciate the offer of food, however, because he was afraid he might get his tongue sliced off.
Hm... less back talk... but, no, I don't recommend it. Go get yourself some plastic forks.

3 comments:

Andy said...

Dave Farland's kick in the pants have been about blogging. The ting is that you have to know how to make it work for your writing. He suggested you use it to tell your readers about your writing process (among other suggestions). He also mentioned that the blogs that are most read tend to be updated more frequently (but I would say no more than once a day).
I dare say that using a blog to promote your writing is like exercising to build muscles. If I'm running a treadmill, I'm definitely exercising, but I'm not going to be building my upper body strength. You have to know what you're doing to get the outcome you desire. I need to take the time to learn what exercises will give me the results I'm looking for. I would say the same is true for blogging. If your blog is designed to serve a specific purpose, learn how to make it serve that purpose. If it's just for kicks and giggles, then you're doing fine, but if you want more, figure out how to make it happen.

Cindy Beck, author said...

I enjoy reading your blogs just for your sense of humor, however,
Andy has good advice about making your blogs more specific so that you draw in readers who follow your writing.

One way to get at least a small payment for your blog is to make it do double duty, and to blog for someplace that pays your for your weekly writing.

The downside there is that you might be given a topic and can't just blog about whatever you want.

Marsha Ward said...

Shirley, I visit, but don't usually comment. I need to do that more, and will repent of sloth.

Thanks for all the chuckles.